Saturday, July 9, 2011

it's all because of you.

Blogging from India, where I grew up :)
I'm actually super tired, slightly jet-lagged, and I did a whole lot of thinking about wrongs and rights when it comes to the heart, and about forgiveness and second chances over both of my flights, which were 8 hours each. I don't want to make this post toooo long, due to the first two, but... Firstly, I realized that forgiveness and second chances have nothing to do with the other person,and everything to do with the person that's been hurt. In order for me to forgive someone, I need to be able to work through MY trust issues; no matter how much the other person tries to earn back my trust, or a second chance, they won't be able to regain my trust unless I give it to them. Giving trust again is something I personally need to work on; I feel like I blame others for being untrustworthy, and I make the other person demonstrate their trustworthiness to me, even though no matter how trustworthy they try to be, I'm just not ready to give out my trust again, plain and simple. In reality, everybody makes mistakes and even breaks trust from time to time. Everyone deserves second chances once in a while; I just need to learn to give them a little more easily.
Secondly, I'm disappointed by the ending of the book "Something Borrowed"; I wish the ending had been more powerful. It didn't seem real, somehow. It felt like a cliched, watered-down "happy-ever-after"; I think that if a story is going to have a happy-ever-after ending, it should at least be strong and dramatic and thought-provoking. It's my belief that if a writer is going to commit to something, drama, plot device, character, etc, then they should commit to it fully, not halfheartedly.
Thirdly, I listened to a lot of music over my flight time, and I thought I'd share a song. I love it because it's unapologetic, it's raw, it's real, it's genuine, it's honest, and in no way are the lyrics fake or pretentious. The sound is grunge-y rock, underground raw, it's an honest sound, full of guitar and drum sequences, and the vocals are super powerful. There's no autotune going no, and it's not the formulaic synth-pop. The song might not be super popular, but it's not trying to be anything other than a song; it's not trying to be a cash cow and sell. Nothing is worse than a song that is so obviously a cash cow. The only thing worse may be a legitimately good song (good lyrics, decent sound) that's been autotuned to death in an effort to follow the rap-pop sheep of music and in a misguided effort to sell. Autotuned pop sells to tweens; real, raw music sells to true music lovers. REAL, RAW, GENUINE are honestly the best words to describe both the lyrics and the sound. It's a little bit of old-rock, too, which I personally love. It's a cool little mix of both the old world and the new. I guess if I had to critique the album as a whole, I'd say maybe it's trying too hard to be cool, trying to hard to pull off an "I-don't-care-but-it's-so-obvious-that-I-do-care" attitude, but this song in particular is classic, amazing and faultless, in my opinion. It's a bit of a throwback to Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Phil Collins, even a little Beatles, especially solo Lennon. Classics.
Anyway, sorry if I come off as a little judgmental up above; I generally try not to be so judgmental, but if I feel passionately enough about something, I voice my opinion honestly, respectfully (as I tried to be, up above), but I don't censor my opinion. Here you go! I promise you the studio version sounds exactly the same as this live version; that's how genuine, raw and un-autotuned this song is. Taylor's unapologetic, self-serving, but still caring lifestyle is kind of awesome too. She's got balls.


Will definitely update the post below this, and another post super-soon. I'm in India for a while, just chilling and not doing a whole lot, so I'll have time. I'll stop being lazy for real this time. peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment