Sunday, July 24, 2011

Hanna's hair

Hi guys. Um, so this post is a little off-the-fly; the idea just hit me last night when I was finally catching up on my missed TV. I'm surprised I'm even blogging right now; last night was super-intense. I went out with some girlfriends and definitely hit the bottle harder than any of us wanted me to, so that's was a great recap of College 101: Drink only as much as you can handle. Too much to drink was the worst of the bad decision making, thankfully, though I did have a face-meet-toilet meet-and-greet at the end of the night that I really wish I hadn't had. So thoroughly regretting my decisions last night, I wanted nothing more than to curl up and hit my pillow, I knew I couldn't; I'm currently visiting my grandparents, and had to be at the train station at 6.30 AM... after a fail of a clean up job (where face met toilet, of course), and after the quickest, coldest, weirdest 5AM shower I've had in such a long time, I threw random clothes in my bag (I ended up packing only one pair of shoes -the pair I wore- and one pair of jeans -that happen to have a rip in the knee- ...ridiculously poor planning. I did remember comfy sweats though, thank god.) and headed to the train station in the car... it's a miracle my mom didn't *really* catch on to anything amiss (if she did, she didn't let on.) Thank you, fate, for giving me a free not-getting-into-trouble pass for one night. I promise I'm done for a while...... a week. :P That story's not at all meant to sound bragging or like a good thing; I'm regretful, and it doesn't paint me in the best light, but it's honest. I wanted to be honest with myself and I don't owe it to anyone else to tell that story, but I felt like I needed to tell it and write it out for myself. Everyone's human and makes mistakes... definitely going to work on not making that one again.
I hope that little story's a
reminder for all you ladies (and gents?) too- be careful, and know how much of the bottle you can indulge in before it's time to call it quits (and not necessarily at last call, either.)

Onto more import
ant things, I was catching up on Pretty Little Liars last night and noticed Hanna's hair, so this is what this post is going to be about! Ashley Benson has some of the most amazing hair ever, and PLL's summer run is fabulous! I can't wait to pick up the newest book in the series: Twisted... I wonder how that'll spin off from the previously last book of the series, Wanted, which was pretty intense. (Also, I actually want to read/watch the new series The Lying Game now! Sara Shepard's pretty talented.)

I love that dress that Hanna (Ashley Benson) is wearing for the funeral scene. Only Hanna could pull off sexy at a funeral, though Emily's (Shay Mitchell) and Aria's (Lucy Hale) dresses are super pretty too. Though they all have short hemlines, I think that Spencer's (Troian Bellisario) dress is really the only choice that doesn't flatter her body shape at all. Hanna's dress might be pushing the envelope since it is a funeral, but Spencer's dress looks like it's made for a granny. That said, I love Hanna's loose curls and undone chignon. For a slightly more structured look, Hanna does something like this:
Hanna generally leaves some pieces out framing her face around her ears, which contributes to the popular "undone" look and keeps the look fresh and messy, as opposed to severe and clean. Only Spencer (Troian) out of the four liars can really pull off a severe, sharp hairstyle, in my opinion. Messy and undone buns and chignons definitely look both polished but young and sexy on not only Hanna, but everyone.


Here's a variation on the loose, undone bun/chignon ... this is more of a half-ponytail clipped up with a claw. It looks pretty on Hanna, though I'm fairly sure it wouldn't work on me. Hanna's hair has a LOT of volume and shine which makes virtually any look work for her. Her hair has versatility too; it can be curled, left wavy, or almost entirely straightened, which lets her show off a variety of hairstyles. I'm too prone to the rut of just wearing my hair loose or in a simple ponytail, and occasionally a loose bun. These hairstyles are all fairly easy to do so I wonder if I could incorporate some of them into my daily look?

I'm not especially fond of this Hanna hairstyle; the front braiding and hair pulled off her face, although cute and new, makes her look much younger than she really is (as a sidenote, I love Aria's hair in this picture. Lucy Hale is really the only other character other than Ashley Benson that experiments so much with her hair and with her look; Troian and Shay generally keep things clean and simple and easy in accordance with their characters, I guess.) It is a fresh cute look though; so if you don't mind looking a little younger than you are once in a while, making a side part and braiding the front section of your hair, flat-ironing the sides and fluffing up and curling the ends of your hair is a good way to go!
Hanna likes to have her both ways; curly and straight. Here's a side by side comparison of both! Personally I think her hair looks great both ways, and frames her face beautifully (I love her slightly round face shape. It's super cute.) I also love the combination of whites and studded leather bag that she has going on in the left photo. It's a beautiful, clean, crisp look with a timeless quality that still manages to look young and fresh. I like her hair curly too; makes her look a little like Skyler Samuels (Chloe King from the Nine Lives of Chloe King). The curls look very natural and unstructured without trying. To be honest I love the center or almost-center part on Hanna more than a side part. I really just love the variety of styles she sports on and off the show and how most of the styles are so simple but so effective that we could all be sporting them too and bringing a little variety into how our hair looks. I can't wait until my hair is longer again and I can start actually styling it again :D
That's all for now, folks! I'll keep you updated. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment