Sunday, May 29, 2011

style-labeling, the vampire diaries, and self reflection, OH MY.

Hey guys. So, a thought crossed my mind today while I was watching the last two Vampire Diaries episodes (for the fiftieth million time.... I just can't believe there's no tVD for a whole 3 more months!! It hurts :/). I started thinking that as far as fashion goes, sometimes we put in too much of an effort. Real fashion is effortless; a sense of style that's all personal, consistent, and effortless because it's true. A true sense of style doesn't have a label, because it's personal. To have this make more sense, a lot of people try to look boho, but the person who lives boho and just has that sense of style, cannot be labeled boho, because they're not trying to embody any particular style; they're just embodying who they are as a person. If we can't label people, what makes us think we can label fashion? To me, labeling fashion makes as little sense as labeling people does, but I'll admit that labeling fashion has its purposes. Fashion labels make life easier for designers, for the team, for the photographers, for the magazine journalists and editors, for the entire fashion industry in general, and even for us consumers. Labeling people has no purpose whatsoever, so I suppose labeling fashion works, at least. On a deeper level, labeling fashion doesn't make any sense to me either.
I have absolutely no idea why this occurred to me while watching the Vampire Diaries. I think it's because I've always admired Elena's style; she always looks poised, put-together, and chic, but very simply so. Elena never tries too hard, and most of her outfits are very simple and fuss-free, but they're chic all the same, because Elena is true to her consistantly simplistic, functional style. The overall effect is elegance. What struck me is that she doesn't try to embody anyone else, or any particular style, or even to look chic or cute; she just dresses functionally for herself and stays true to her personal likes and dislikes, and as a result, she pulls off cute and chic really well. Maybe we could eliminate 'fashion faux-pas' from the dictionary if we all just started dressed true to our personal likes, dislikes and comfort zones more; instead of looking good in a contrived way, we would all naturally look good because there's no pressure to look good and we'd be dressing in whatever made us happy. All that, of course, begs the question of whether beauty really is inside? I believe it is. We project what we feel and who we are, and even if we're trying, we can never really become anyone other than the person we were born as and were meant to be. If we all felt more comfortable in our skin, and learned to feel beautiful on the inside all the time, and dressed for ourselves, we'd naturally project beauty too.

Of course, this is definitely not what I was originally planning to share. Getting sidetracked by my own thoughts is awesome... =) I'll be back with another post soon (: Pssst..... it'll be about feathers...which I'm obsessed with!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment