Tuesday, August 16, 2011

turn it around everyday

There's so much new stuff coming out soon! Here's a little recap of everything shiny, bright and new to come this fall.

The new ABC Family series based on another one of Sara Shepard's series, The Lying Game premieres today, as does another episode of Pretty Little Liars during its usual timeslot, so I'm super excited for all of that tonight. There's only 30-some odd days until The Vampire Diaries Season 3 premieres on the CW, and that should be an interesting season -the year of the originals, with "Delena", more focus on witches, surprising twists and turns and old love interests galore (Malese Jow as Anna, Kayla Ewell as Vicki and Emily Fields' belle, Samara (Claire Holt) features as Stefan's ex). Gossip Girl's season 5 returns to the air soon as well, after one very long summer away from the Upper East Side. Demi Lovato's new album, Unbroken drops on September 20th, and I'm so excited to hear her amazing new soulful sound, debuted on Skyscraper. Big Time Rush's new album releases later this year in November, too, and that should be exciting. For anyone keeping up, a new iCarly episode dropped just two days ago- iLost My Mind, kicking off Volume 5 of the ever-popular show. One of my favorite bands, Every Avenue (featured in an earlier post with the video for song "Tell Me I'm A Wreck"), recently dropped their new album, Bad Habits.

Caught up? Great. The release of so much new music especially really made me question what kind of music I like. I love pop-grunge-alt-rock, bordering on hard rock for sure (I really wish I could catch The Pretty Reckless in tour, or that they would release a new album.) but I've realized that I also love softer power ballads far too much too. The skill to play piano is one that I really wish I had (though it pains me to say that my efforts at learning guitar were derailed by a trip out of town and upcoming things, both good and bad, in my own life.), and so I thought I write a post about a few of my absolute favorite acoustic-y power ballads, some of which are played on piano and others on guitar, but all of which have astounding vocals/talent and truly beautiful messages. Some of these songs I've covered individually before as songs-of-the-day, because I'm thoroughly in love with each and every one of these songs, so I won't do full commentary on any of these songs, but I just want to give them the sort of shout-out these songs and artists deserve, and make a sort of list of some of the best (in my opinion) soft, meaningful, pop-rock power ballads that I think everyone should check out at some point.

-Demi Lovato: Skyscraper
-Kate Voegele: Forever and Almost Always
-Victoria Justice & Leon Thomas III: Tell Me That You Love Me
-The Band Perry: If I Die Young
-Anna Nalick: Drink Me
-Birdy: Skinny Love
-Vanessa Carlton: Who's To Say
-Vanessa Carlton: White Houses
-Vanessa Carlton: Ordinary Day
-Victoria Justice: A Thousand Miles
*This last cover by Victoria Justice is even more talented than the original version by Vanessa Carlton, which was absolutely amazing to begin with. Victoria Justice is actually a really bright, inspiring, aspiring star in the music industry... can't wait to see what her upcoming solo album sounds like, too.

Make sure to check out some of these amazing songs for your own sake -you won't be sorry; they're absolutely beautiful. My current favorite of them all is definitely Kate Voegele's Forever and Almost Always, just because it's so honest, so expressive and so relatable -every girl can relate to the emotions offered, evoked and stirred by the song, much like a Taylor Swift song without all the idealism and/or excessive bitterness. (Idealism and bitterness are so mutually inclusive; can't have one without the other, whereas happiness and sadness are both necessary in order to feel the full impact of the other, but they don't coexist -when you're happy you're not sad. But you can't be an idealist without being bitter, and if you're bitter about life, chances are that on some level you're an idealist whose idealistic dreams have been tossed around by reality.)

That's all for now though; be back soonish.

No comments:

Post a Comment